Solved

Shadow keeps resetting back to 1080p on 4k screen

Working via the android app via Shield TV.

Shadow keeps forcing an “apply new resolution” creating a continuous loop of starting screens.
It freezes the games and does not give me the opportunity to change anything in settings.

Reinstalling NVIDIA drivers, settings on read only etc don’t work. Windows is set on the correct resolution. All normal basic stuff. 

Any solutions? Beside the standard Shadow response..did you restart your app?

Cheers,

Paco    

icon

Best answer by Jim29er 17 January 2021, 06:30

@Paco It appears this issue has been fixed in the Android client beta (3.4.4)

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

You can try disabling the “Fit to Screen” option from your Quick Menu. Then set a custom resolution in your NVIDIA Control Panel (Google if you don’t know how that works)

Good luck,
Phobos

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Phobos I don’t think we have a “fit to screen” option on Android.

@Paco Are you having the issue when launching games, or when landing on the Shadow desktop?

When I change my resolution in the settings (see below), when I land on the Shadow desktop, the Windows resolution always matches what I selected there.

Hi Jim and Phobos,
Thnx.  “Fit to Screen” option from your Quick Menu is not an option in android app.

So everything works fine in android shadow settings, windows and NVIDIA. Its all aligned and windows works in the chosen resolution.

The problem starts when I start a game. Like Start Citizen or Post Scriptum and wish to turn up the ingame resolution to my new screen res (set @ 60hz btw). Here Shadow starts an endless loop of “Applying New Resolution”. 

This can only be turned by a hard reset of Shadow. 

Cheers,

Paco

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The problem starts when I start a game. Like Start Citizen or Post Scriptum and wish to turn up the ingame resolution to my new screen res (set @ 60hz btw). Here Shadow starts an endless loop of “Applying New Resolution”.

Gotcha - I believe I have experienced this, and will verify today. It might be because the Android app doesn’t have the “fit to screen” feature that this happens - features on the Android app seem to lag behind the other clients. I’d also like to see a proper Quick Menu on Android.

Are you able to run Shadow on another device (such as a Windows PC) that has a 4K display, to set the game resolution on that? Then the “remembered” game resolution should work when using the Shield. In other words, I think the workaround is to not change resolutions within a game whilest running the Android app. It’s annoying, but might be the only way for now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Update: I tried a couple of games, and the resolution switching worked. If I set the Shadow client resolution to 1920x1080, it would set the Windows resolution to that, and then inside of games I couldn’t set anything higher than that. If I then went to the “Quick Menu” and set the res to 3840x2160, then I could set that res in the games too.

@Paco are you running the same client version as I am, 3.3.2?

Gotcha - I believe I have experienced this, and will verify today. It might be because the Android app doesn’t have the “fit to screen” feature that this happens - features on the Android app seem to lag behind the other clients. I’d also like to see a proper Quick Menu on Android.

Are you able to run Shadow on another device (such as a Windows PC) that has a 4K display, to set the game resolution on that? Then the “remembered” game resolution should work when using the Shield. In other words, I think the workaround is to not change resolutions within a game whilest running the Android app. It’s annoying, but might be the only way for now.

Cheers. Ill will try make a custom NVIDIA setting via my laptop.
Changing it in the menu does not work.

Grtz
P

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@PhobosI don’t think we have a “fit to screen” option on Android.

@PacoAre you having the issue when launching games, or when landing on the Shadow desktop?

When I change my resolution in the settings (see below), when I land on the Shadow desktop, the Windows resolution always matches what I selected there.

whoops sorry

Hi Phobos,

So in the screenprint above I can set the higher resolution. I start shadow. Win 10 is in the higher resolution. Nvidia card is set in the same resolution. Now I dive into a game. For instance Star Citizen. 
It starts an immediate loop of Shadow applying new resolution and doesnt let the game set the new resolution. So it turns to shadow applying res > game screen > Shadow applying res » game screen etc etc. Until I have to completely pull the plug and revert back to 1080p.

Cheers,

Paco

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Paco It appears this issue has been fixed in the Android client beta (3.4.4)

i am still getting this same issue, i cannot start red dead redemption 2, starwars battlesfront 2 or practicly anything with a 2 on it lol..but seriously, im useing the Android app and it is up to date. but when i start a game, it freezes and shadow goes in an endless loop of "setting new resolution" with no end unless you hard reset the machine. this is honestly extremly anoying 😖

@PacoIt appears this issue has been fixed in the Android client beta (3.4.4)

i got the beta version, it deffinatly helps. but when i play star wars battlefront 2 for instance, its like shadow tries to drop the screen down into the task bar almost every time the games changes a scene or for instance when selecting a unit. the screen for a split second goes black turns into a bordered window and tries to drop to the taskbar before quickly going back to fullscreen and restoreing the color or video