Question

Slow Steam Downloads

• 11 June 2022
  • 7 replies

I run a speed test on fast.com and it brings up around 800 Mbs, but it downloads on Steam intermittently and randomly at 0 MBs, then 1 or 3-5 - then goes to maybe 8 or 20, it hits 70 for maybe a second then stays at 0 for most of the time. Why is it so inconsistent? 

Is it tied to the disk speed? Is the disk speed particularly slow as actually it took a while to louad some games on occasion. 

I’m on the base tier, in Manchester currently connected to the London data centre. My latency is about 23ms so perfectly good local internet.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Steam downloads are iffy in that their CDN scales aggressively based on load. Sometimes you’ll get 200MB/s down, sometimes you can barely manage 5. Not just Shadow where it happens either. My local downloads from Steam also get throttled heavily during prime time hours.

Changing the Download Server Helped me, Look for it in this article,

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/steam-download-slow-how-to-fix-it/

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Sorry to hear about your slow download speeds. As others have suggested, this issue is not exclusive to Shadow. 

I suggest looking over their help center article. You can change the download region to see if that helps as Steam has suggested: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/5AC5-8056-E88F-F3FF

In regards to your Shadow's download speed, you should have up to 1 GB/s of download speed but that can fluctuate. You can always shut down all the way and try reconnecting again.

I think it is related to shadow, because the problem persists across all apps. I also had a problem with downloading an app from Edge. Sometimes the PC freezes and says it’s not responding, just generally a slow system.

It’s not a streaming issue as the stream and latency is fine at under 25ms regularly, but I think that the PC’s disk speed can hang, taking many minutes to load apps. 

With Steam, it’s not that it’s just going slow it starts at 75MBs and then just goes down to 30, to 20 to 10 and then to 0 where it stays for the duration of the session making it nearly impossible to download a 400mb update on steam.

PS I changed the download region and all the other tips and it didn’t help.

Badge

Having a similar issue with Elder Scrolls Online. The connection seems fine when I test it but loading a zone takes forever and a day. It used to be very quick not so long ago. Also downloading the latest expansion took very long.

Badge

Currently my Shadow is installing a rather big windows update, I guess/hope it's been downlading that in the background and that's the cause of the crap performance these last few days.

Having a similar issue with Elder Scrolls Online. The connection seems fine when I test it but loading a zone takes forever and a day. It used to be very quick not so long ago. Also downloading the latest expansion took very long.

Same issue here with Final Fantasy XIV Online as I have been waiting about 5-6 minutes to teleport to another zone and have players and npcs appear much slower. Sometimes I even end up disconnecting when receiving shows up at 0.

Same thing happens when I was trying to play Fall Guys and get disconnected that at the same time I couldn’t send messages on Discord and that websites were offline.

Other issue I have been getting would be the 1 out 9 switch to official servers update every time I start the stream.