Question

Sound Cuts out after about 1min of being connected

Badge

Every time I use shadow on my laptop all sound from Shadow cuts out after about a minute and is replaced by silence. This happens whether I’m on stable or beta, have high quality audio enabled or disabled. 

I love using shadow but if I don’t get sound there is no point in using it.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello there.

Have you tried to lower your bandwidth 5-10mbps? Any other streaming or downloading your doing in the background that’s eating your band? Any other info will help.  :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hello there.

Have you tried to lower your bandwidth 5-10mbps? Any other streaming or downloading your doing in the background that’s eating your band? Any other info will help.  :)

Adding to them, how are you connected to your router? 

Badge

Hello there.

Hello there.

Adding to them, how are you connected to your router? 

Thanks both.

Lowering doesn’t have any impact -- I also have a 330Mbps download and am not doing anything else on the laptop when the issue starts. I am connected via Wifi -- using 5ghz and using Wi-Fi 6 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Does this happen only on the Laptop or other devices you have used ?

Badge

Does this happen only on the Laptop or other devices you have used ?

It only happens on my laptop (windows 10 if that helps)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What about the audio of the laptop itself? That keeps working? Are you using plug or USB? Because I think it’s a local issue. I could very well be wrong ofcourse, and there’s something wrong with the stream. But it’s interesting that the sound cuts off after an hour. Anything you are doing in particular? Do other programs also don’t have sound then?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Try ethernet on the laptop, see if that helps.

Badge

What about the audio of the laptop itself? That keeps working? Are you using plug or USB? Because I think it’s a local issue. I could very well be wrong ofcourse, and there’s something wrong with the stream. But it’s interesting that the sound cuts off after an hour. Anything you are doing in particular? Do other programs also don’t have sound then?

All other audio on my laptop works fine, just Shadow that doesn’t. I use Bluetooth or USB and both have the same issue. It cuts off after about 1 minute not an hour. The entire shadow client loses sound, whether I am playing a game or not, e.g. the Windows Volume noise doesn’t make any sound (within shadow). 

Try ethernet on the laptop, see if that helps.

This issue also happens on Ethernet but if it didn’t that wouldn’t help, as the router is no where near my desk and powerline adapters don’t work in my flat.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

It seems your sound is being routed somewhere. Like when a controller is being connected to Shadow. Have you tried changing your connection type to TCP (Reliability Connection)?  

Badge

It seems your sound is being routed somewhere. Like when a controller is being connected to Shadow. Have you tried changing your connection type to TCP (Reliability Connection)?  

Yes tried every setting. although the tcp option breaks the video feed as well. 

Badge

I’ve had to open shadow then use Steam Link to play the game. less than ideal but it works 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I’ve had to open shadow then use Steam Link to play the game. less than ideal but it works 🤷‍♂️

Do you have multiple possible audio playback devices on your laptop? If you disable all of them but the one you will be using. 

Badge

Do you have multiple possible audio playback devices on your laptop? If you disable all of them but the one you will be using. 

I gave that a try and it does the exact same thing. Everything still plays sound on my laptop it’s just shadow which doesn’t. It is stop the session then start it again the sound comes back --but only for a minute or so then stops working again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I had this issue a while back. I had to go into the settings and set Shadow to prefer stability over speed. I didn’t notice any difference in speed but the audio worked. It could be a returning bug. =(

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Were you ever able to try the alpha client?