Solved

Streaming at 4k@60FPS on Macbook Pro 2015 (HDMI Cable)

• 31 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I am trying to use shadow on my early 2015 13-inch Macbook Pro , its connected to my TV/Monitor ( Samsung Tizen 7 series) via an HDMI cable ( which supports HDMI 2.0) however, my mac can only support 4k@30 via its HDMI port. 

Q1:If I choose to output my resolution in shadow at 4k@60 would it transfer over to my TV ( I do not think so, but just asking anyways ) ?

Q2: Also is there any other way for me to output 4k@60 into my monitor/tv so that I can take full advantage of my shadow PC ?

icon

Best answer by Phobos 31 March 2021, 04:12

Hey @SuryaShriv,
If you connect your TV to your macbook via HDMI port you will be limited to 30fps, no matter what.

Check if you have a mini displayport. It would allow you to use your screen at 4k 60hz. There are mini displayport to displayport cables. If your TV only supports HDMI you can buy an adaptor, just make sure that is supports 4k 60hz aswell.

Often WQHD resolution is more than enough for games, since shadow boost is not even meant for 4k gaming. If you have an Infinite it should work tho. Definitely check if WQHD might be an acceptable resolution for you to use.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hey @SuryaShriv,
If you connect your TV to your macbook via HDMI port you will be limited to 30fps, no matter what.

Check if you have a mini displayport. It would allow you to use your screen at 4k 60hz. There are mini displayport to displayport cables. If your TV only supports HDMI you can buy an adaptor, just make sure that is supports 4k 60hz aswell.

Often WQHD resolution is more than enough for games, since shadow boost is not even meant for 4k gaming. If you have an Infinite it should work tho. Definitely check if WQHD might be an acceptable resolution for you to use.

Hey Phobos , 

Thank you for your reply. I have started searching for cables from mini-display port to HDMI ( and which also support HDMI2.0).

Also , I would prefer to  game on WQHD and 60 FPS rather than 4k@30 using my shadow , so I have shifted down to that for now. 
I currently have boost , but would definitely think about moving to Infinite if I can find a work around for the 4k@60.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the DP to HDMI cable to work !

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Sound like a plan :thumbsup: