Solved

Using Linux

• 28 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

So I use a Windows 10 pc right now to connect, but I was wondering about using Ubuntu so get better performance of the base machine.

i use a Xbox One controller with the wireless usb dongle and usb headset etc. 

How much stuff will actually work like controller etc using Ubuntu or would I be better off with Windows, I can’t find all that much on using Linux for the local machine.

icon

Best answer by Lily 29 June 2020, 10:20

The Shadow windows app is in a way more stable state than the Linux app. If you want to know more I suggest checking out the Linux channels on the Shadow Discords.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

The Shadow windows app is in a way more stable state than the Linux app. If you want to know more I suggest checking out the Linux channels on the Shadow Discords.

i’d agree

Errkal,

The shadow client is just an electron based app and electron js works rather well on linux overall. So speaking from experience as a member of the linux community getting proprietary things like ‘Xbox One controllers’ to work as stable as it is in Windows is a challenge but that’s also because we still need people to contribute code and support the developers whom are working on the tools to make that work.

That said; the xbox one driver does exist and has been apart of the linux kernel for some time:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/set-up-xbox-one-controller-ubuntu/

So passing that along as a USB device might just work. But your mileage may very and bug reports are welcome so the community can get that fixed.