Solved

When will USB over IP come to Linux

• 16 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I’d just like to know when or if USB over IP comes to shadow. (Connecting a usb device and having it connect by itself)

icon

Best answer by Jim29er 16 February 2021, 15:15

You can do it now with VirtualHere.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Badge

This is only a patch to the real problem. Plus this is a paid for product if you have more than 1 device that you need to connect. I have this now as there is no other option but this should be native to the client and it is something that Shadow needs to support. Linux is a second class citizen when compared to Mac (Windows is always going to have features first over other 2 platforms as the vast majority of the users will be on Windows). The tech is there for Mac and I don’t see a problem with also supporting Linux in the same way.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

This is only a patch to the real problem. Plus this is a paid for product if you have more than 1 device that you need to connect. I have this now as there is no other option but this should be native to the client and it is something that Shadow needs to support. Linux is a second class citizen when compared to Mac (Windows is always going to have features first over other 2 platforms as the vast majority of the users will be on Windows). The tech is there for Mac and I don’t see a problem with also supporting Linux in the same way.

@samwdp  I agree with you that native support would be ideal.

However, do know that USB device forwarding is temperamental on both the Windows and Mac clients, and is highly dependent on good network quality and low-latency. Even then, people still have problems with intermittent device disconnections (the Windows kernel is finicky about always “seeing” those USB devices as present, and network issues disrupt that).

For the most part, as I understand, those people that have problems, have better success when they switch to VirtualHere. It is by no means perfect either, but a good alternative for many.

Badge

@samwdp  I agree with you that native support would be ideal.

However, do know that USB device forwarding is temperamental on both the Windows and Mac clients, and is highly dependent on good network quality and low-latency. Even then, people still have problems with intermittent device disconnections (the Windows kernel is finicky about always “seeing” those USB devices as present, and network issues disrupt that).

For the most part, as I understand, those people that have problems, have better success when they switch to VirtualHere. It is by no means perfect either, but a good alternative for many.

Yes, I used windows for the first 8 months of me using shadow and there are issues with any type of thing like this. After reading my comment I seem to have vented my frustration and took it out on you and I am sorry for that :). I just am a long time user and have seen very little development on the Linux application in comparison to the others and it feels like a second, or maybe even a 5th class citizen after all the other applications (its only supported for 1 Linux distro and there isn't even a support category on the official support page the last time I saw)