Solved

Why is it so slow to upload data via a USB stick

• 27 May 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

I can upload to Google drive and download to shadow 100x faster than using the USB pass through, I'm on a gigabit connection 

icon

Best answer by WrongMan 27 May 2020, 23:09

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Simply put, usb data transfer was not designed to be done over the web. USB 2.0 can use up to 400mbps.

There are a lot of other ways to transfer data that are way better than usb forwarding

Badge

The USB pass though feature was only really designed with peripherals that don't transmit large amounts of data, while you can stick a USB and try to transfer files, it will reach a bottleneck whereas cloud storage doesn't have that same issue. 

Badge

Oh well, a bit of a pita, I use my shadow as much as I can as my daily computer, Its a mild snag but I can work with it, thanks guys, 

Maybe a team viewer style file transfer functionality built into the shadow launcher would be a good feature?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Oh well, a bit of a pita, I use my shadow as much as I can as my daily computer, Its a mild snag but I can work with it, thanks guys, 

Maybe a team viewer style file transfer functionality built into the shadow launcher would be a good feature?

Yes that sounds like a neat feature, maybe something for Shadow to work on in the future. In the mean time you can use OneDrive, Google Drive, PTP etc

Badge

Yup already using Google drive sync, it's no hardship for me, but I suspect others would certainly appreciate a simpler drag and drop style method

Use ZeroTier - it’s creates a local encrypted LAN connection between your computer and Shadow. You can then share files from your local computer to Shadow (login) and use drag and drop as usual.

If they don’t find each other you might need to loosen firewall rules (be careful and never relax public firewall)

For my Mac I used Ubuntu on Windows via WSL and then just use rsync to transfer many files to Shadow.