Solved

Why is shadow performance getting really bad suddenly? 5-35% packet loss Unusable

I’m getting very bad constant packloss causing massive lag and stuttering. 

Practically unusable. 

icon

Best answer by Phobos 28 January 2021, 10:02

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Not a shadow related issue. Probably a faulty router on your route to shadow. Contact ISP if it isn’t getting better.

It was shadow related issue. It was their data center issue at that time. Now resolved. 

But this is the 2nd data center issue within a few weeks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

There were no datacenter issues with packet loss. As I said.. most issues are routing issues, not related to you or shadow but your ISP. Contact them for further information. You can download WinMTR to check your packet loss to your shadows IP address and see where the packet losses origin is located.

Must be weird then, the packet loss issue which is displayed in shadow 5-30% happened during both previous datacenter incident.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Davloh The datacenter incidents are since 2020.. And only affecting CPU performance of higher tier users

This happens every day after 6 pm with the Dallas center at around 8 CT last night was getting upward of 45% packet loss. Worse it has ever been. Only happens on shadow no issues outside the shadow environment.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Memloch I don’t know if you followed the whole conversation (comments included).. I suggest re reading. I explained why the shadow datacenter is not having any issues with packet loss.

@Memloch I don’t know if you followed the whole conversation (comments included).. I suggest re reading. I explained why the shadow datacenter is not having any issues with packet loss.

Did you read my post, only happens in the shadow environment and it works great up until around 6 PM but gets really bad by 8pm. Let me ask are you a shadow employee? Did you investigate? Seems this is becoming more and more a hot topic and it all seems to have started since the overheating issue. I know that issue was something else but that is the timeline.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Memloch I already explained that it is most likely a routing issues. When connecting to shadow you hop over about 15 routers until you are at the datacenter. If now the router at hop 13 is faulty you get packet loss to shadow but maybe not to netflix etc. Maybe the image illustrates that. (not very professional but it should do it’s job. I am not a shadow employee but I am very familiar with shadows systems and networking in general. I also have access to monitoring and the shadow datacenters are fine.

@Memloch I already explained that it is most likely a routing issues. When connecting to shadow you hop over about 15 routers until you are at the datacenter. If now the router at hop 13 is faulty you get packet loss to shadow but maybe not to netflix etc. Maybe the image illustrates that. (not very professional but it should do it’s job. I am not a shadow employee but I am very familiar with shadows systems and networking in general. I also have access to monitoring and the shadow datacenters are fine.

And I get that, but shouldn't Shadow work with the different carriers when issues like this arise to provide the best customer experience possible. I work in the teleconferencing business and we work with many carriers to ensure our client have the best experience possible and when issues arise we reach out to those carriers for resolution. Essentially telling a customer to reach out to their ISP is basically useless since many providers are likely involved from one area to another from route to route. 

Which brings me to my next question. Does shadow use these forums or is there a ticket system in place to report these issues?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

And I get that, but shouldn't Shadow work with the different carriers when issues like this arise to provide the best customer experience possible. I work in the teleconferencing business and we work with many carriers to ensure our client have the best experience possible and when issues arise we reach out to those carriers for resolution. Essentially telling a customer to reach out to their ISP is basically useless since many providers are likely involved from one area to another from route to route. 

Which brings me to my next question. Does shadow use these forums or is there a ticket system in place to report these issues?

You raise some valid points...I think the Shadow (Blade) network folks would do the same, for widespread/chronic issues where a smoking gun could be pinpointed (or if it were their own ISP). But also, as you allude to, it can be difficult to pinpoint precisely where the loss is happening.

There is a way to raise support tickets from your subscriber web page...these forums are mostly community-driven.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

The best thing you can do when you have packet loss is to send longs via the client and file a ticket. The log’s provide data to shadow that they need to point the finger at the right ISP to fix their stuff. -Gelgoog. 

The best thing you can do when you have packet loss is to send longs via the client and file a ticket. The log’s provide data to shadow that they need to point the finger at the right ISP to fix their stuff. -Gelgoog. 

Thank you I never noticed the ability to do that and now I do see it.