Question

WIFI on MacOS

• 5 March 2022
  • 0 replies

Efforts to use Shadow over WiFi on MacOS seem doomed to a poor experience- I can prove it.

Using a new M1 Macbook Air, with nothing installed but Shadow, if I disable location services as recommended and connect using a wireless access point 5 feet away from the Macbook, which is in turn wirelessly uplinked / using Mesh WiFi to connect to the internet I am able to connect and 95% of the time experience a good connection, however I will experience periods of acute frame drop, latency, and audio stutter about every five minutes or so, sometimes more frequently, sometimes less.

Here’s the thing, though: if I plug an ethernet cable in and connect to directly to the wireless access point, so that my network configuration looks like this

MacBook <--ethernet--> Access Point B <---wireless uplink-->Access Point A<---ethernet--> Fiberoptic 1 gigabit WAN connection

Then the problem goes away and I have perfect gameplay. This experiment isolates the MacBook’s wireless connection as the essential cause of the problem. It cannot be that the actual problem is that I am using WiFi as such, because using this configuration I am still using WiFi (for the mesh wireless uplink), just not MacOS wifi.

Similarly, if I connect directly to Wireless Access point A, from five feet away (thereby skipping the mesh uplink entirely), then I still experience the problem. The problem is clearly that MacOS’ WiFi connection is, in some way, buggy.

Having established that

• It is possible to have a flawless wireless connection to Shadow, but not if the wireless connection starts with the MacBook itself
  • The problem is therefore not with WiFi
  • The problem is with MacOS

Has anyone been able to figure out how to make this problem better, and enable functional wireless connections to Shadow using MacOS?

This topic has been closed for comments