Xbox Carbon Black / X Series Controller Issues

• 23 February 2021
  • 3 replies

• Application type (Windows/Mac/Mobile/etc.) Windows

• Shadow Client Version (Official/Beta/Alpha) Official

• Local device CPU Pentium Silver J5005

• Local device GPU Intel UHD Graphics 605

• Datacenter location (check status.shadow.tech) Chicago

• Connection speed (Datacenter speed tests EU: Paris | AMS or US: CA | TX |CH | NY) ~50Mbps

• Description of issue Detailed below

Other:

• Date when problem appeared. Around 3 weeks ago

• Did you take any action(s) which could have created this problem? If so, what? Nothing that I am aware of, tested on two different local PCs.

• Do you recall any action(s) you took after it happened? Tested with two alternative controllers (Xbox One and 3rd party) and with USB cable to narrow down issue.

• Do you use a VPN and/or antivirus? No.

• Please provide a screenshot of your shadow stats (Alt+Win+O). Also make sure it captures a time frame when the issue has happened. I am away from my machine right now but can provide if useful.

I have been using an Xbox Carbon Black controller for a while with my Shadow without issue, but recently it has stopped functioning correctly. The behavior is weird; when I press either of the trigger buttons it acts like I am then holding down LT, which makes it pretty much useless.

I’ve done a few tests so far:

The controller functions as expected in Gamepad Tester in a browser both locally and in Shadow.
The controller functions as expected when using a USB cable but not over bluetooth.
A borrowed older Xbox One controller functions as expected over bluetooth.

The last thing I want to try is if the controller works on a local PC connection in game. So far it seems like a specific issue relating to this controller and Shadow over bluetooth, where using a USB cable isn’t a problem. The strange thing is that it was working fine, and is running the latest controller firmware

I saw in another post someone suggesting the Xbox X controllers are not officially supported yet, is this true? I’m not sure if a Shadow update might have affected things.

Thanks for any help!

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Support for Xbox Series X controller has been recently released: 

I would recommend trying to uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers from your settings to see if that would help.

?name=USB.PNG

Should that not work, you can also reach out to our wonderful Support Team by submitting a ticket from your accounts page: https://account.shadow.tech/home/support

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Jonathan from Shadow  with all due respect, you seem to be misunderstanding the problem. The OP is not using USB device forwarding for the controller, and says there are problems only when using it via Bluetooth.

@NetuziI have the same controller..can you please list out the specific firmware version it’s running?

Hi, thanks for the replies, @Jim29er it is running 5.5.2641.0.

I did some more troubleshooting last night and have a workaround, if not a fix. I am not sure how much of this is a Microsoft problem vs Shadow, or a combination of both, but I will lay it all out here in case it is useful to anyone.

It looks like a few people have had issues with Bluetooth and these controllers over the last few months, some duplicating in settings, some buttons not working and some not connecting at all. From what I have read Microsoft pushed out some fixes in the last firmware update, and also others reported the latest Windows 10 build update (plus some other optional updates) fixed problems, while some still had issues.

I checked in the Game Controller settings on my host PC and the controller shows up as “Bluetooth LE Xinput Compatible Input Devices.” If I connect it via USB is shows up as "Xbox Controller for Windows" which seems odd, and in line with issues some others have had.

I checked the same in Shadow, however there–when connected via Bluetooth–there are two controllers listed, both as "Xbox Controller for Windows." So it picks up the controller correctly but duplicated.

Going into the properties of each, one looked correct in that pressing either of the trigger buttons shows the X axis moving to the left or the right depending on the burron. However the other didn’t work correctly; one trigger button moved the X axis slightly to the right, the other moved it all the way, showing why the triggers didn’t function correctly in game.

So my workaround was to find which controller of the duplicates was the “faulty” one, then go into Device Manager in Shadow and disable it. After a restart only one controller now shows up, and it is working correctly. It seems persistent after disconnecting and reconnecting the controller so hopefully it will be stable moving forward.

From what I can tell both the host PC and Shadow are on the same build with the same Windows updates so I am not sure why they show up as different devices, and the duplication on Shadow may be a Microsoft issue rather than a shadow one, as it seems duplicates have been problems for others.

tl;dr controllers were duplicated in Device Manager and Game Controllers. One was acting weird and when disabled things seem to work normally.