Under Review

[ALPHA VR] Can't start streaming

• 26 October 2020
  • 9 replies

Issue

Once the Shadow is started, it shows a frozen screen, then the app crash after a long time not responding.

Version:

Alpha v. 0.0.1

Steps to Reproduce:

Using Shadow Ultra (Gravelines), Occulus Quest 1 and 5Ghz wifi (400mbps down, 20mbps up)

Launch Shadow first on Official Windows App, closing every other tasks like nvidia geforce or discord, leaving the desktop to Steam Big Picture and SteamVR on 1440p60Hz.

Closing the app, not turning the Shadow Off (if turned off, the ShadowVR launcher will not even try to lauch).

Waiting around 2-5minuts for the ShadowVR to start while watching the loading from 0% to 100%.

Additional Notes

Multiples S-101 while getting back to Official Windows App, making the launching of ShadowVR getting between 10 minutes to half hour.

___

Raph from Shadow 5 months ago

Hey Lui-Seul,

thanks for the feedback.
What you are experiencing is in the top of our offenders list. There are still many rootcauses to the start issues our users encounter and we are going through them one by one.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Consider the VR client to be a different ‘version’ of shadow. Similar to alpha/beta/standard, you now have a 4th option, VR. Changing to the VR version of your shadow typically involves a reboot.

To really test the VR client well, your shadow should be set up to automatically sign in to windows and to automatically run steam when you start up. Steam is set to auto-start with windows by default unless you’ve disabled that option. But generally speaking, your VR client should be booting your Shadow, not logging into an already-booted shadow. Client switching from the windows client to the VR client (without a reboot) is not yet supported due to the environment change requirement.

Or, to put it another way, your shadow should be off when you load the Shadow VR app, and boot it from there only, not involving the windows client in any way, until you’re done with VR for now and want to switch back to the desktop environment.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hey Lui-Seul,

thanks for the feedback.
What you are experiencing is in the top of our offenders list. There are still many rootcauses to the start issues our users encounter and we are going through them one by one.

Had the same issue, if the shadow app is turned off on the desktop shadow VR is not able to launch. It just stays in launching mode forever.

When i open the app from desktop and enter steam VR then launch shadow VR, as the step by step guide says, after a loading screen shadow launch but i see only the 2D desktop and not steam VR. 

Is there a way to solve this?

Could it be that is because steam always require the password on the desktop app? For some reason it never remembers it and i have to login every time i restart shadow.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I would try to figure out why steam is requiring a password every time, that seems like a steam issue. That’s definitely going to be a problem because the client can’t really connect properly if you’re not logged into steam, first.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had teh same issues starting up teh app. I just got into a frozen page where I couldn’t do anything.

I think this is caused by SteamVR not running correctly from your 2d device if your Quest is not connected.

I had to first connect the Quest through Virtual Desktop and launch Steam VR. Next I launched the Shadow VR app from the Quest and it worked.

Not sure if this is the way to go but if it is it might be worth mentioning it in the How to. If not, I would like to know what I did wrong initially

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It’s not listed as one of the required steps for the Shadow VR client, but the VD client requires that you install Oculus rift software. I’m wondering if that’s the missing link for people who are trying Shadow VR but have never tried the VD method?

Just FYI- I also only see starting shadow VR and nothing, waited for a few minutes. Good news is yesterday it was freezing up the app and today it is not… baby steps…

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

When this happens, try closing the app and relaunching it from the oculus menu. Let us know if that works?

Good news, was able to get to the steam app! I logged onto shadow from my pc and logged off. Went back to the headset and it went through the update again and viola!