Solved

App hangs on "Starting ShadowVR"

• 2 November 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve followed the HowTo and have the app installed via sidequest on my Oculus Quest OG.

• Oculus Quest version 20.0
  • Steam and SteamVr installed and updated
  • Steam set to start on windows start
  • Windows logs in without password or pin

App logs in to Shadow fine, boots shadow and installs the client fine but then stops on “Starting ShadowVR” and after 10 minutes there’s no change.

Any suggestion what to try next?

icon

Best answer by Raph from Shadow 3 November 2020, 08:18

Hello and thanks for the headsup.

We have noticed our launch consistency is flawed. There may be several rootcauses to this so we are reworking the launching steps of the app to better communicate between each components. You are probably stuck because one component started after another or an event did not occur and we had no feedback about it.
Start issues are our top priorities.

View original

10 replies

got the same issue here execpt most of the times its just updates in the way

Same here, I get this screen and nothing else.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello and thanks for the headsup.

We have noticed our launch consistency is flawed. There may be several rootcauses to this so we are reworking the launching steps of the app to better communicate between each components. You are probably stuck because one component started after another or an event did not occur and we had no feedback about it.
Start issues are our top priorities.

Hi Raph,

In my case, it seems that I failed to remove the windows login. When I finally managed to start Shadow without password then ShadowVR worked. There was lots of stutter which makes it almost unusable but that is another matter.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi Raph,

In my case, it seems that I failed to remove the windows login. When I finally managed to start Shadow without password then ShadowVR worked. There was lots of stutter which makes it almost unusable but that is another matter.

Well this is another case of start issue we need to adress for a proper release. We need a way to handle users with windows login for example. Or Steam udpdates, SteamVR updates, admin popups etc …

First step is to get more communication done between services

Userlevel 1
Badge

I eventually managed to get in! But it’s a mystery what I did to make it work. I switched between desktop and Quest a few times and eventually it worked. A couple times I managed to connect with the Quest without SteamVR launching (so I saw Windows in glorious 2D filling my Quest fov :)).

When I was able to use SteamVR, the tracking was stuttering a lot, so not quite useable but great to see the progress! Look forward to future updates!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I eventually managed to get in! But it’s a mystery what I did to make it work. I switched between desktop and Quest a few times and eventually it worked. A couple times I managed to connect with the Quest without SteamVR launching (so I saw Windows in glorious 2D filling my Quest fov :)).

When I was able to use SteamVR, the tracking was stuttering a lot, so not quite useable but great to see the progress! Look forward to future updates!

Thank you friend!
And yes it’s hard to reproduce those start issues consistently :(. We should have something reworked soon. Hopefully it adresses a big part of them.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm having the same issue

Although when I attempt to  remove windows login

The option isnt there

Hopefully the next update helps 

I'm having the same issue

Although when I attempt to  remove windows login

The option isnt there

Hopefully the next update helps 

I have the same issue in my setup phase of Shadow as well. If anyone knows how to fix that part, I’d love to know as well. 

Hey guys, set this up today, had the same issue with the Password checkbox, the following is the fix:

https://www.askvg.com/fix-users-must-enter-a-user-name-and-password-to-use-this-computer-checkbox-missing-in-windows-10/

Good hunting fellas, cant wait for this to be perfected!!!!!!!!