New

Please keep Shadow alive from Virtual Desktop input

• 2 December 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I know that this is a known issue. But VR is the main reason to use shadow for me. The VR Alpha is an awesome project but is years behind virtual desktop.

So please find a way to keep shadow allive when running over VD.

Same for steam remote play (or make steam controller work directly)

Raph from Shadow 2 months ago

Hello guys,
I am happy to tell you the current official Shadow apps for desktop notice properly Virtual Desktop Inputs and won’t hibernate after 30 min of VR play.
This has been active since late november but I believe we failed to communicate properly around it.

Hope this makes your day.

View original

8 replies

Nothing more to say, Shadowvr-alpha is an alpha and cannot satisfy quest users in states.

Why do you want to re-create what does already exist by boring people who are using something working well. Waiting Infinite delivery isn’t enough ?

When ShadowVR will be offer us a good VR experience, i’ll be the first to use it but today, please , free Virtualdesktop !!!

Badge

Use the Shadow Alpha client found in the discord to start Shadow on a PC/mac and then connect with Virtual Desktop; The Alpha streamer won't disconnect when you're using virtual desktop.

Which probably means that they'll eventually roll this feature out to the normal client too, though extra emphasis on eventually.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Use the Shadow Alpha client found in the discord to start Shadow on a PC/mac and then connect with Virtual Desktop; The Alpha streamer won't disconnect when you're using virtual desktop.

Which probably means that they'll eventually roll this feature out to the normal client too, though extra emphasis on eventually.

This also works on the android alpha client too

If anyone can confirm this for IOS Though that would be great

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello guys,
I am happy to tell you the current official Shadow apps for desktop notice properly Virtual Desktop Inputs and won’t hibernate after 30 min of VR play.
This has been active since late november but I believe we failed to communicate properly around it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello guys,

Hi Raph! That is great!

Do we need to have the Shadow stream open in the Client app to have it notice VD inputs? Or is being logged in to the client app enough? To save bandwidth...

And will the mobile apps be updated with this feature too?

I am hoping the Shadow VR app is up to standards soon, so we are rid of this stuff soon.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello Dynam1ke,
As far as I know you don’t need to have the stream open at all.
I don’t remember it being a problem on Mobile apps tbh.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello Dynam1ke,
As far as I know you don’t need to have the stream open at all.
I don’t remember it being a problem on Mobile apps tbh.

OK! So I could now:

1. Launch Shadow and start Shadow (and Virtual Desktop Streamer on Shadow)
  2. Close Shadow stream on Client, but leave Shadow launcher open.
  3. Start Virtual Desktop on Oculus Quest and connect to Shadow
  4. Play for hours without auto-shutdown?

It has been a while, but on mobile this certainly was an issue also. If I launched and streamed Shadow on my Android phone, and connectly my Quest using Virtual Desktop at the same time. It would still shut down after 15-30minutes. Even if I left the stream open on mobile.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The shutdown problem is fixed for all clients. It was a streamer issue! Have a great year!