F.A.Q.

Shadow VR Alpha FAQ

• 26 October 2020
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

👋 Welcome to the FAQ of the Shadow VR open Alpha for Oculus Quest.

Here you will find answers to the most common questions surrounding this topic. Here is a quick first overview about the subjects of the questions:

• ❓ General Questions
  • 🥐 Requirements & Hardware
  • 🍷 Software & Games
  • 🚩 Technical Support & Bug Reporting

Updated: 26.10.2020

❓ General Questions

Q: What is Shadow VR?

A: Shadow VR is our first app for virtual reality headsets. Just like we have an app for Windows, MacOS, Android and IOS, except this time it is for Oculus Quest. It allows users to play PCVR games from SteamVR on an Oculus Quest without the need for an expensive VR-ready PC, wires, or base stations.

Q: What is the difference between Shadow VR and Shadow?

A: Shadow VR is another step forward for Shadow. Now that we were available on most connected 2D screens we thought it would be nice to bring your Shadow experience to 3D and virtual reality.

Q: What does “Alpha” mean?

A: It means that this is not a finished product. We need you to help us  test it and provide feedback so that we can improve the app and make it consistent in terms of performance, features & reliability.

Q: When is the Shadow VR Beta coming out?

A: It will come out when the quality level of the app matches our requirements.

Q: When is Shadow VR going to be officially released?

A: With the app just being released as an open Alpha at this moment, it would be too early to communicate a date.

Q: Can I join the Shadow VR Alpha?

A: Yes, just check out our “How-To”.

Q: How can I join the Shadow VR Alpha?

A: Please check out our “How-To”.

Q: Can I share images and videos from the Shadow VR Alpha publicly?

A: Of course, but please remember that this is still a very early preview of the app.

Q: I’d like to create content around the Shadow VR Alpha and would like to know more about specific topics, who can I contact?

A: Feel free to ask any questions in the dedicated section of this forum.

Q: I’d like to help with the development of Shadow VR, what can I do?

A: You can provide feedback on your tests on our forum. We are craving for information on your experience based on your location, connection, or the games you play.

Q: Is there a roadmap of what’s to come for Shadow VR?

A: Yes there is a list of what comes next right here.

Q: I’m living outside of a supported area and would like to use Shadow VR, can I do that?

A: No, you can only use ShadowVR from one of the countries supported by Shadow.

🥐 Requirements & Hardware

Q: How do I set up Shadow VR?

A: Please check out our “How-To” to learn how to set it up.

Q: What are the minimum requirements to use Shadow VR?

A: All our requirements can be found in our “How-To”.

Q: Does Shadow VR work with Shadow Boost?

A: Yes it does.

Q: Does Shadow VR work with Shadow Ultra / Shadow Infinite?

A: Yes it does.

Q: What headsets does Shadow VR support?

A: Shadow VR is an app for Oculus Quest and Quest 2 exclusively.

Q: Is it planned that Shadow VR supports other headsets in the future?

A: No, apps for other Virtual Reality Headsets are currently not in development.

🍷 Software & Games

Q: What games can I play with Shadow VR?

A: All the games you own on any of the main PCVR stores (Steam, Oculus, Viveport).
Oculus & Viveport can only be accessed through Revive. See below to learn more.

Q: Are there pre-installed games to use with Shadow VR?

A: No, but you can enjoy all the free VR games available on the market.

Q: Can I play my already owned games on Shadow VR?

A: Yes, just like with the other Shadow apps.

Q: Does Shadow VR support software from the Oculus store?

A: Yes it does, thanks to a third party software officialy supported by SteamVR. 

Download Revive, then follow the installation steps until you see your Oculus games in SteamVR. This makes Oculus exclusive titles such as Asgard’s Wrath, Lone Echo or Stormland playable with Shadow on Oculus Quest.
Note that Revie does not officially support Shadow VR and won’t be providing support in case of issues.

Q: Does Shadow VR support softwares from the HTC Viveport store?

A: Yes, the same way it does for the Oculus store thanks to Revive. See previous question.

Q: Is there a 2D Desktop Mode for the app?

A: Yes, there is now a 2D Desktop mode within Shadow VR).

Q: Can I play my traditional PC games on the Oculus Quest?

A: No. The app does not support traditional input systems like mouse & keyboard or gamepads so you cannot use your Oculus Quest as a screen to play your 2D games. We are thinking of implementing it at one point though if it proves to be a strong community’s request.

Q: What are the risks of installing SideQuest on the Oculus Quest?

A: Sidequest is completely safe and you will be at no risk of banning, as long as you are not using a pirated version of any APK. They have a wonderful community who have tested many of the apps available on the store and who will help you get started.

Q: What are the risks of installing software from SideQuest on the Oculus Quest?
A: See previous answer.

🚩 Technical Support & Bug Reporting

Q: I have an issue with my Shadow, what do I do now?

A: Contact support if you have an issue with a traditional Shadow app that is not in alpha. If you are using Shadow VR or another app in alpha, you should reach out through the forum.

Q: I encountered a (technical) problem using Shadow VR, what do I do now?

A: First, check if it is a known problem here. If not, search if the problem has already been encountered by another user in the forum. If not, report the bug here on the forum.

Q: I found a bug, where and how do I report it?

A: First, check if it is a known problem here. If not, search if the problem has already been encountered by another user in the forum. If not, report the bug here on the forum.

Q: How do I know if a bug is known or has already been reported?

Q: Has my bug been fixed?

A: Check the latest changelog here to see if your bug has been fixed.

Q: I still haven’t heard back from Support, is that normal?

A: Support does not provide support for apps in Alpha.

Q: I’ve found a workaround for a problem with Shadow VR, where can I share it?
A: Please share it in the workaround section of the forum!

This topic has been closed for comments